Here it is, my care plan, the plan I made with Mark my OT, for managing and overcoming anxiety around starting school. Feedback is appreciated.
Management Strategies Identified
- Anticipation and Preparation
- Breathing techniques
- Body Scans
- Think about 3 things near to me. Sounds in the room. Sometimes require prompting.
- Use quiet room
- Time out and collect thoughts. Perhaps toilet break. If triggered can use water.
What am I looking forward to:
Learning new things
Building computer skills
Getting into the workforce
Having a satisfying routine
Structure to the day
Something to get up for in the morning
What do I see as obstacles to course engagement:
- Instructors not knowing about jaws or equipment
- Equipment breaking down
- Lack of awareness about dog
- Not familiar with spreadsheets etc and difficulty with such
- Concerns about becoming unwell and unstable
- Work Placement and finding the right placement Will companies want to take me on
- Mobilising around the building
- Exams and exam process (Will I get to do the exams on same day)
What Strategies can I use to overcome obstacles?
- Ring Brain Manning form NCB and he can give training on Jaws as it is specialised equipment. I can help out re commands etc. On email support lists and I can get answers from this around technology supports.
- They have tech support and also Brian Manning can help with such.
- Have had Natalie (trainer) in and if needed she could come in again. Perhaps get leaflets about guide dogs if needed. Like the Basement, people get used to the dog and more familiar. Confidence will be developed being around the dog.
- There will be individual support when needed and I will have an opportunity to confirm items and question if I have not processed information or grasped concepts.
- Use weekly appointments to discuss about impacting items from past aswell as current stressors. Prioritise what needs to be talked about. Do things in personal life to maintain wellness i.e. relationships. Basement resource centre. Fill up evenings and use distraction techniques. Talk to link worker on the course so they are aware.
- When go to do work placement anticipation and preparation will be key and using resources in NLN and outside of this to get the best opportunities available.
- I have done route familiarisation and I know much of the building. The first two weeks of induction will give me time to adjust fully. Confidence has developed already and staff have been so friendly and will be helpful if required.
- The exams are every 6 weeks approximately. It is continuous assessment as opposed to one exam at the end of the year. This takes stress off. I have initiated availing of extra time and supports for exam to maximise likelihood of best outcomes. I will link in with my key support worker in NLN leading up to exams and discuss any concerns as they arise. Link with Mark (OT) leading up to exams as an aspect of exam preparation.
What preparation do I feel I need prior to commencing NLN on Sept 7th:
- Adjust sleep pattern: Starting Monday 31st August getting up at 7am and going to bed before 12. I will adjust body clock as when I commence NLN I will be getting up at 6am. This preparation will give me confidence to start the course.
- Ring Brian Manning as I need guidance on a scanning ap on the phone. This will be necessary to scan printed material on the course.
- I feel ready for the course.